CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Those Who Can't…Should Say 'Thank You'



Yesterday afternoon, while waiting for my child at school, I ran into one of her teachers. Not a classroom teacher, but one of whom we refer to as enrichment teachers. These teachers teach non-academic courses including music, art, computer science, physical education, science, and foreign language. I shared my sadness over the passing of a woman who actually taught me when I was in elementary school and who, up until a few months ago, continued to consult/assist at the school long after her retirement. All because she had a love of the game.

I shared with this teacher that none of my classmates, nor I, would remember this woman as a loving person, a cuddly instructor, someone to run to when you scraped your knee. But what we would all remember her for is her passion -- passion for her subject and for making those connections necessary in teaching someone. Seeing the light bulb go on. And passing on knowledge. What she lacked in bedside manner, she more than made up for in spirit. She made what could have been a dry, boring subject fun. And, ahead of her time, she broke down gender barriers and made her class and its content fun and approachable for both boys and girls.

As I was speaking, I noticed the teacher tearing up. I knew she considered the woman an ally, a mentor, and a friend. But it wasn't the loss of this person which brought tears to her eyes. Not completely. It was, as a teacher, hearing someone, a former student, wax nostalgic and appreciative of a teacher…even if it wasn't her. The real kicker? She's actually that kind of teacher for my child and this current generation. She makes learning fun. So I took the time to tell her that and she was touched and received some much-needed confirmation.

If you or your child has a teacher who's made a difference, don't wait for Teacher Appreciation Day or the end of the school year to let them know. Call, email, or send a written note and let them know, because they deserve to hear praise. Like a lot of professions, there are a lot of teachers, but a small handful are actually really great at what they do. So take the time to thank that teacher in your life for a job well done.

0 comments: