CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Save Up

When I got in my car, the radio was tuned to a news channel I listen to, and a financial expert was on, dispensing advice. Late to the game, I missed the majority of his tips and only got to hear this one, but it struck me as quite profound.

Spend more less often.

He elaborated that in this age of Amazon and Wal-Mart and big box stores, that thriftiness is heralded, but that there’s a difference in being lavishly thrifty and frugal. His suggestion was that you buy better quality, often-times more expensive, items less frequently.



It’s your classic quality over quantity debate. Remember the Stanford Marshmallow Test from the 1960s? Researchers tested the concept of delayed gratification on a test batch of kids, offering them one treat – a marshmallow or Oreo – immediately, or two if they waited approximately 15 minutes.  One-third gobbled their one treat up as the instructor was still stating the offer. A second third said they’d wait but, ultimately, caved in and didn’t make it to the second treat milestone. And the final third waited and enjoyed their cookie. According to ongoing analyzation, that last third went on to enjoy higher SAT scores, land better jobs, and enjoy happier lives all around.

So, I wonder what this would look like in my own life:

























I'm sorry to say, but I'm more of a Merona girl than Manolo. 

What about you?

0 comments: