CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, June 23, 2014

Listen Up

“What camp am I at this week again?” my daughter asked this morning, followed by “is anyone I know going?” This was probably the fifth time she’s asked me these questions since Friday night, so I deduce she’s experiencing some anxiety. She’s been to this camp before, but this year is different and she knows it. Unlike years past, she doesn’t have a buddy, a school friend going. Someone with whom we signed up for the same camp intentionally so they’d have a pal. And, she’s in the next age group up so she’s back to being the youngest camper in her group. The older level affords more responsibility and options for fun, but there’s the burden of the unknown. After giving her one final round of encouraging words, I grabbed my keys and coffee and darted out the door for work.

As I drove and sat in traffic, my heart was heavy thinking about her uncertainty and picturing her reluctantly putting her shoes and sunscreen on and my husband having to push her out the door to get to the rendezvous point where a bus will pick her up each morning. So I prayed. I prayed that her worries would be lifted, that she’d either find someone she knew or she would quickly make a new, good friend whom she could enjoy for the week. And then I heard a voice.

Turn around and go back and you take her to camp.

I scoffed and dismissed it and sent up silent responses of refusal. “I’ll be late for work.” “Just look at this traffic.” “We had a plan…her Dad’s taking her.”

Go back and take her to camp.

OK, I heard that one. I turned at the next road, backtracked back home, walked in the house, and announced that I was taking her to camp. Did her face light up or did I imagine it? Would my husband have gotten her there safe and sound and well on her way? Of course. Would she have been fine had I not given in? Probably.

I don’t know what the purpose of my exercise this morning was. What I do know is that voice and I’ve learned when I hear it, it’s better all around to listen and do what it says. Not once have I regretted its advice and instruction. Did my husband get something done at work in the extra 30 minutes he was afforded? I don’t know. Were her worries calmed and her confidence bolstered by my taking her and standing on the sidewalk, smiling and waving as the bus loaded and drove off? I don’t know. Did I make miraculous time getting to work and was only a few minutes late? Yep. Would I do it again? You betcha.

John 10:27 says, “My sheep listen to my voice. I know them; and they follow me.”



0 comments: